COA represents the interests of all optometrists in California. Our efforts are based on the following facts of life governing your practice:
- You can't practice without a license granted by the State of California.
- The State Board of Optometry (SBO) issues that license and can take it away.
- The State Legislature - Assembly and Senate - define what you can and cannot do in your practice.
- Nine of the SBO's members are appointed by the governor; legislative leaders appoint the other two.
- Your competitors work hard to gain every legal advantage they can get over you in every branch of state government.
That's why COA uses your dues to support a wide array of resources to advance optometry and protect your interests. COA invites you to join your leaders and peers on the front lines.